Could you use your medical skills as a platform to proclaim Christ to the unreached people of Clove Island*?
*Real name protected for security reasons
These beautiful tropical islands are 99.9% Muslim and for security reasons we refer to this area as the Indian Ocean Islands rather than naming individual islands. Islam is deeply rooted on these islands and to be an Islander is to be a Muslim. There are a small number of believers on each island but many follow Jesus secretly for fear of rejection and persecution. Political instability and a lack of natural resources has left these islands underdeveloped, and all our teams serve Islanders in areas such as education and medical work. The work is slow, but God is building his church here, and we wait in faith for the day when we see small groups of believers springing up across the islands, worshipping God in their own language, strong and unified, boldly speaking of the hope that they have to all around them!
Vision & Strategy
Healthcare is a huge need on the islands, and we are starting a new medical team in a poorer region of Clove Island. We are looking for individuals who want to join with us in our vision to see healthy individuals and communities in the holistic sense of the word – measurably less preventable illnesses, sicknesses being healed, people relating rightly to God and his creation, free from bondage to evil spirits, practicing justice, seeking peace, and using the creativity and resources God has given them to meet their needs.
Compassionate medical care must go hand in hand with verbal proclamation of the gospel. Working within the island health system will provide abundant opportunity for prayer and lifestyle witness as well as relationship building. However, strategic evangelism and discipleship happens better in an environment outside of healthcare and intentional time and effort must be made for this. The vision of the team is a church planting team first and foremost. We long to see reproducing indigenous churches on the Islands. Will you come and join us in this work?
Ministry & type of work
Recognising the power and vital importance of prayer as ministry, we desire prayer warriors to be raised up within both the local and global body who are committed to interceding for the church and the lost across the islands and beyond.
- We as a team will strive to pattern and facilitate a focus on prayer
- We put high priority on community through learning the heart language, open lives/open homes, cultural sensitivity, simple living and intentional relationship building.
- We recognise the great tool that medical work can be in opening doors and advancing the kingdom. Healthcare provides opportunities to build relationships, show Jesus’ love, and to build up, teach, equip and serve others and we want to do this well.
- We will use our giftings and expertise to benefit the local community and existing health systems.
- We will work within the government health structure, coming alongside, supporting encouraging and training local staff in these facilities.
- We will work and support one another as a team family. Prying for one another, meeting for regular fellowship, curriculum, prayer and accountability.
Qualifications & Experience
- Professional medical qualification and experience (doctor, nurse, midwife, physio etc…)
- English (level 3+) and French ((level 3 required for Doctors, level 2+ desired for others). French language study can be undertaken as part of your preparation to go.
- Previous experience working among Muslims and/or within a ministry team are desirable but not essential.
- Team members will be expected to do six months of language and culture orientation in the capital before joining the medical team.
- The team will likely start in late 2021, with further intakes of new team members every six months.
- Members are asked to commit for a two to three year term.
- There may also be opportunities to join this team short term (1 year) with a view to long term service, please contact us to find out more